Saturday, February 21, 2009

Life is Like a Roller Coaster

Today, I had the opportunity to go to a Stake Women's Conference. It was incredible. We had great speakers and musical numbers. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. The theme was "Hold on the Light Will Come." There were wonderful things said and a delicious meal served. A wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning.

Here are some of the things I remember:

One of the speakers talked about the different struggles that we face in life. One of those was judging. There is danger in over judging when we believe we are better than someone else which brings in pride. There is also danger in under judging which causes us to view ourselves as less than others. She pointed out that laughter and service are things that can really lift us in our struggles and they are double blessings because they not only help us but others too. She also said that there are 3 other things that can also help us 1. Our faith in Jesus Christ 2. Repentance - this changes our relationship with our Heavenly Father and the Sacrament should be the most important 20 minutes of our week 3. Receive and be worthy of the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Our Stake President was one of the speakers. He compared life to a roller coaster. There are so many ups and downs in life. Really all we can do is 1. Hold on to your hat 2. Enjoy the journey 3. Scream if you have to. We all have challenges and we need to face them. He quoted Sister Dalton by saying, "we can do hard things." Instead of saying, "why me?" we could say, "What does this situation require of me?" We should not compare ourselves with others. "Typical, perfect or normal do not exist." He also said, "when you understand why you live, you will better understand how to live."

3 comments:

Elder and Sister Longhurst said...

Thanks, I like your notes even more than my own. Now I won't have to do a summary!!!

Becky said...

Thanks for the posting. I was unable to make it-Mark had to work and then Jace got sick. I had planned to go, but so goes life. I really appreciated the overview. It helps drop a few drops in the empty spiritual bucket. ;)

cindy said...

Thank you for the inspirational thoughts!
(You are such an amazing example to me--I am so grateful for your friendship!)