Wednesday, July 30, 2008

remembering dan

What an emotional week we have had. Phil's oldest brother Dan, passed away on July 23rd. The funeral was yesterday. I have wanted to sit down and write my thoughts down all week but it is a difficult thing to do. I have watched as the extended Pack family has come together to help each other and Dan's wife and children deal with this incredible loss. What a blessing our Heavenly Father has given us...the gift of family.
How grateful I am for the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is so hard to lose someone that you love and I don't think that the hole they leave behind can ever be filled but Christ can bridge that gap that we feel in our hearts. I am so grateful for the Atonement of our Savior. We can find comfort in Him.
I am so thankful to know that we will see Dan again. What a great example he was to all of us. The funeral was so touching and uplifting. It was such a good mix of laughter, tears and music. All of his siblings and children shared stories and memories about this great man. They painted a picture for all of us of who he really was. He was a quiet, humble man. Phil said that Dan reminds him of the story of David in Egypt. The trials of life came but he had a strong faith and believed in the principles of the gospel. He never waivered. Dan was a kind and gentle man. He never competed for the center of attention or desired to be in the spotlight. Because of his quiet humility and unassuming nature, his great abilities and talents might be over looked. He was a master musican and could play almost any instrument. It was said at his funeral that music is what he woke up for each morning. It gave his life purpose. I am so grateful that at least 2 of my children were able to be taught by him. At Christmas time, Dan gave each family a cd of him playing his violin. It will be a sweet reminder and comfort for us all.
He didn't believe that he would ever accomplish anything great. But he was mistaken. His influence with music and the way he lived has reached many people.
Times like these cause us to stop and reflect on life. Our perspective changes. We are reminded of the important things...people. Relationships are what make life memorable and what gives us purpose while we are here in mortality. How we treat each other and the time we spend with each other matters. We can all be a little kinder....a little nicer. We can all see the good in people more. We can all look for those in need of comfort a little better. We can all be slower to critize or gossip. We can all be quicker at using a soft word. We can place ourselves in someone else's shoes before we judge. Isn't that what the Savior has taught?
I am grateful that I was priviledged to know Dan and I will always remember him.

4 comments:

cindy said...

I am so sorry about Phil's uncle. It sounds like he was a remarkable person and has left quite a legacy. Your words are beautiful...I'm sure you have been a great source of comfort to the family.

Skye O. said...

Thanks for your testimony and faith. I'm inspired by Dan and I had never met him. hope all is well!

Elder and Sister Longhurst said...

What a wonderful tribute, and testimony of the life to come after this one. Thanks for sharing!

Katy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm so sorry about your loss. But it is so true that the relationships in life are what count and so we need to start treating people better. I need to try harder every day to do that.